Decades ago, the American Dental Association ran an ad campaign whose message was that the complete loss of all one’s teeth does not have to be an inevitable feature of growing old. It suggested that a lifetime of proper oral care and regular visits to the dentists will keep one’s teeth healthy for life. This is true. However, seniors should be particularly mindful to take care of their teeth. (By seniors we mean people who are 65 years of age or older.) That is because poor dental hygiene has been linked to a whole host of issues including stroke, high blood pressure, and even heart disease. Our Ameriplan dental plans can help you if you are a senior and are concerned about your dental health. Family Dental Health Plans would also like to provide you with the following tips for maintaining your smile for life.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking and chewing tobacco can cause all kinds of dental problems including oral cancer. This is a fact. Chewing tobacco can also damage your dentures or implants. If you currently smoke or chew tobacco stop now!
- Take care of your dentures: Even if you have already lost your natural teeth, oral hygiene is still important. Clean your dentures daily. Gum disease can still be present in people who have lost their natural teeth. Finally, remember to remove any plaque and tartar that has built up on your false teeth by soaking them daily in any number of commercial denture cleaners.
- Use Mouthwash: When you don’t have time to brush thoroughly, remember to use mouthwash. Just be careful to not use too much mouthwash as this can upset the PH balance in your mouth.
- Watch for the side effects of certain medications: Some medications can cause a condition known as ‘dry mouth’. The problem is that dry mouth is not only uncomfortable but it can also cause plague and tartar to adhere to your teeth or dentures.
- Visit the dentist regularly: Advanced age is no excuse to stop visiting the dentist. Regular visits to the dentist can prevent a whole host of dental conditions.
At Family Dental Health Plans we understand the importance of proper oral care at any age. We also believe that tooth loss is not inevitable. Our discount dental plans can give you access to dental professions in many fields including geriatric dental care.